|Welcome to Oak Crest & Oak Hill Cemeteries
Welcome to Oak Crest & Oak Hill Cemeteries
Oak Hill Cemetery was a large piece of land in 1835 when it was purchased by Dexter Stanley. In the 1800s, residents of the community mostly used the Main Street Cemetery. But due to flooding and icy conditions from St. Joseph Creek, burying people at the Main Street Cemetery became difficult. Residents eventually reached out to Stanley for help, and he donated part of his land, which was one of the highest points in this area. It was originally called Westside Cemetery. Local families buried at Oak Hill include members of the Downer, Stanley, Dixon, Carpenter and Rogers families. Oak Crest Cemetery is located between Howard Street and Elmore Avenue, in unincorporated Downers Grove, in both Downers Grove and Lisle Townships.